Housing benefit

Housing benefit

Please be advised we are currently experiencing technical difficulties with our online benefits forms. Please email benefits@easthants.gov.uk and an application form will be sent to you.

If you rent your home and are on a low income, you may be able to claim housing benefit to help pay your rent.

The amount you will get depends on various things such as:

  • Your income and savings
  • How many family members live with you
  • Your age
  • Disabilities

It also depends on how much of your rent qualifies. For example, you can’t get help with any part of your rent that covers things like service charges, heating and lighting, and internet.

If you rent from a private landlord (not the council or a housing association), the amount of rent you can get help with is set by the Local Housing Allowance (LHA).

You cannot usually get housing benefit if:

  • You (or your partner) has savings or capital of £16,000 or more
  • You pay rent to a close relative who lives in the same home as you
  • You own the place where you live
  • You are a student living alone. Read more about students and housing benefit.

Apply online

Housing benefit claim form Submit an application for Housing benefit.
Online welfare benefit calculator Will help you see if you could qualify for Universal Credit and/or Council Tax Support.
Online benefits entitlement calculator Will help you see if you could qualify before you make an official claim.
Change of circumstances form Tell us about any change in your situation straight away. If you receive too much housing benefit, you will have to pay it back.
Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) claim form (word 289 kb) If you receive Housing benefit but still struggle to pay your rent, you may be able to claim a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP), which provides some extra help.