Submit a building regulation application

Submit a building regulation application

There are two ways of applying for building regulation approval from the council. You can either make a full plans application or use a building notice.

Full plans application

With this method you submit detailed drawings of the proposed work and we check them to ensure they meet building regulations. We will consult authorities such as fire and sewerage where necessary.

Where the drawings don’t meet the building regulations standards we will liaise with you or your architect to advise on what doesn’t meet the regulations so that you have the opportunity to change the designs so that they are right. Once the drawings meet the building regulations we issue an approval notice, which may contain conditions that you have to adhere to.

We will also carry out a variety of inspections on the work when it is being done.

The quickest and easiest way to make a building regulation applications is online:

You can also make an application using a full plans application form:

How long does a Full Plans application take?

We try to check your application as quick as possible. The legal requirement is 5 weeks unless you agree to an extension of time, but for the vast majority of applications we do it much quicker than that.

Building notice

This is a written notice that you intend to carry out building work and there is no requirement to have a formal approval of the plans. It is suitable for small scale works and projects where the builder has a good knowledge of building regulations and does not require the drawings to be checked in detail.

You are not allowed to submit a building notice for projects on commercial buildings where the council will need to consult the Fire Brigade or where you are building within 3m of or over a public sewer. A full plans application will be required in this situation.

Using a building notice plans are not usually required to start with although we may ask you to provide drawings and/or structural calculations later during the process. You do not benefit from having an approved set of plans to work from using this method of application, so there is potentially a higher risk of things not being built correctly on site and having to be altered.

Besides processing the building notice we will also carry out a variety of inspections on the work when it is being done.

How long does a building notice application take?

As there is no formal approval process for a building notice you can start work 48 hours after submitting it, providing it is a valid notice.


To help your building project achieve compliance with the building regulations you will need to contact the building control service at various stages to arrange to have the work inspected irrespective of the type of application submitted. This is a legal requirement.

As part of the paperwork sent to you we will tell you what stages you need to notify us for inspection. The inspections always include the start and completion of the works as stages that you must contact us.

Where the project is new build or an extension it will also include inspection of the foundations before concreting, covering up of floor constructions, covering of a drain, a DPC and a roof. Other inspections may also be specified.

The scope and frequency of inspections carried out will be determined by a variety of different factors such as the complexity of the project, the construction methods used and how long the project will take.

If you are unsure what inspections are required please contact us and we will let you know.

Inspections should ideally be booked one day before they are required. Inspections booked at shorter notice, where possible, will be carried out, as long as the notification is received no later than 10:00am on the day it is required. This excludes Bank Holidays and weekends.

Inspections can be booked by calling the team on 01730 234207.

It is important to ensure that all stages identified on the inspection plan are notified to the council because if they are not the council may not be able to issue a completion certificate for the works, which is an important legal document that you may need, for example, if you sell your property.