To help promote better nutrition and increase healthier food choices for consumers, East Hampshire District Council is running the Eat Out Eat Well award scheme. Catering establishments - including restaurants, cafes, public houses and staff canteens - that make it easier for their customers to make healthy choices when eating out will be eligible for an award. The award symbol is an apple logo in the shape of a heart.
According to the Food Standards Agency, 1 in 6 meals in the UK are now consumed outside the home. The Eat Out Eat Well scheme will help consumers make healthier choices when buying takeaways or eating out. Eating more healthily is one of the simplest changes most of us can make to improve our health and lose weight.
Eat Out Eat Well will encourage food businesses to make small changes such as reducing the fat, sugar and salt levels of dishes, and offering items such as fruit and water. East Hampshire District Council Food and Safety team will award successful businesses Bronze, Silver or Gold based on the type of food on offer, cooking methods, and how healthy choices are promoted to customers. Awards will be displayed in the business premises and publicised on our website.
The scheme benefits both caterers, by promoting their businesses, and consumers by helping them make healthier choices when eating out.
How the scheme benefit consumers
- Businesses will provide healthier options to customers through the use of healthier catering practices, increasing fruit, vegetables, and starchy carbohydrates;
- Decreased levels of fat, especially saturated fat, sugar and salt in food;
- Provision of healthy options for children;
- You can visit the award winning restaurants, pubs and cafes and find healthier meal options on the menus for you and your family.
What's in it for businesses?
- You could make a huge contribution to improving your customers' diet and health by providing healthier food choices;
- You'll have public recognition for achieving the award and could enhance your image as a responsible business that puts its customers first. As well as an award certificate that you can proudly display in your premises, your establishment will be listed as an award winner on our website;
- It could give you a competitive edge and increase customer satisfaction as the demand for healthier choices continue to grow - many manufacturers and retailers who have introduced healthier options are seeing growth in sales.
How to apply
The free award scheme is open to all types of catering establishments that have received a 3 or above on the National Food Hygiene Rating Scheme. To achieve an award, your business will be assessed against criteria that are based on the principles of a healthy balanced diet such as keeping fat, sugar and salt to a minimum and making fruit and vegetables widely available. You will also be assessed on marketing and promotion of healthier options.
If you are interested in achieving the Eat Out Eat Well Award, please contact the Food and Safety Team at East Hampshire District Council on 01730 234312 or contact us online.
Additional information & documents for the Eat Out Eat Well Scheme can be found at the Eat Out Eat Well website.