Getting active and sports development

Getting active and sports development

It is important to try to work towards being physically active for at least 30 minutes a day, five times a week. This can include active lifestyle changes, for example: walking the dog, gardening, using the gym.

East Hampshire’s Sport and Active Lifestyles team aims to create sporting habits for life. It is up to us to make it easy for residents to be active.

Leisure centres

EHDC owns three leisure centres in the district which are managed on our behalf by Everyone Active:

Sports development officer

The sports development officer supports all sport/leisure facilities across the district.



Chairobics sessions provide seated exercise in a fun, enjoyable and sociable way to increase your physical activity levels.

Club Matters

Club Matters is Sport England's one stop shop for sports clubs. Club Matters provides free, convenient, practical resources to help you develop and run a sustainable club.

Coaches, officials and volunteers

Coaches, officials and volunteers are crucial for sport at all levels. They are the people who motivate, encourage, inspire and work behind the scenes to make sport happen.


Each sport has its own National Governing Body (NGB). They are responsible for the rules and regulations governing their respective sports. A list of recognised sports and their NGBs can be found on the Sport England website.


Officials operate in many sports, each with their own set of laws and rules. Each sport’s National Governing Body will offer support and deliver officiating qualifications.

Skills Active helps to provide easier access to these qualifications and skills through training provisions within the sector.

The Young Officials programme is run by the Youth Sport Trust.

This programme helps National Governing Bodies to develop young sport officials throughout England. Young full-time volunteers lead a project working within their chosen NGB to act as a role model to inspire and support other young people. This also provides a local skilled workforce.


Volunteers can help deliver skills and experience to your club. The following volunteer networks allow you to create a profile so that active volunteers in the area can approach you with support:

Disability sport

Whether you want to participate in an inclusive setting or if you are looking for disability sport specific events, there are many opportunities to get fit, try out new sports and/or join a club and compete.

Treloar’s School in Holybourne, Alton hosts the East Hampshire Disability Multi Sports Club. Those with learning, physical, mental health and sensory difficulties can try a variety of sports (during term time) including football, basketball, kurling, boccia and table tennis.

The Hampshire County Council's short breaks programme is designed to improve the lives of disabled children, young people and their families.

East Hampshire Passport to Leisure

As a partnership between East Hampshire District Council and Places for People, we offer a card that allows the holder to take part in some activities at Alton Sports Centre, Taro Leisure Centre and Mill Chase Leisure Centre at a reduced price.

The activities included in the scheme and the cost will be displayed in the leisure centres. These are reviewed every year but will always include casual swimming and casual gym sessions.

Anyone who lives in East Hampshire District and falls into at least one of the eligibility categories can apply for a card.

The card is free but you will need to provide a passport sized photograph. If the card is lost a replacement will cost £5.

How to apply

Fill in the application form:

  • Application form (currently not available)

Send the application form with your photo, proof of residency (e.g. Council Tax bill) and eligibility documents to one of the following:

  • Alton Sports Centre, Chawton Park Road, Alton, Hampshire GU34 1ST
  • Taro Leisure Centre, Penns Place, Petersfield, Hampshire GU31 4EX
  • Mill Chase Leisure Centre, Mill Chase Road, Bordon, Hampshire, GU35 0ER


You will be eligible if you receive:

  • Income Support
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance (income related)
  • Pension Credit (Income element, not savings element)
  • Housing Benefit
  • Universal Credit
  • Council Tax Benefit
  • Employment Support Allowance

You must provide a notification letter dated within the last 12 months.

If you receive:

  • Working tax credit and child tax credit and NHS tax credit exemption certificate

You must provide an award notice from HM Revenue & Customs dated within last 12 months and in-date NHS Tax Credit Exemption Certificate.

If you are a:

  • Full-time student aged 18 or over

You must provide a letter from your college or university confirming full-time attendance (Student ID/NUS cards will not be accepted as proof).


You can get up-to-date information for funding support from:

Coaching, Officials and Volunteer Bursary

This bursary aims to increase the number of Hampshire & IOW residents qualified to coach, officiate or volunteer in sport. It helps individuals to take the first step into coaching, officiating or volunteering by completing the appropriate governing body’s award scheme.

It also assists existing qualified coaches, officials and volunteers through additional higher level awards and courses.