Planning services

The planning system is designed to protect the environment in towns, villages and countryside, while giving people and local businesses the facilities they need.

You’ll probably need planning permission if you want to;

  • Build something new
  • Make a major change to your building, such as build an extension
  • Change the use of your building.

You should always find out if your project needs planning permission before you apply for building regulation approval or make arrangements with a builder.

If your project needs planning permission and you carry out the work without getting it, you may be forced to undo the changes you have made.

It’s a criminal offence to carry out works to a listed building without first getting permission from the council, even if you didn’t know the building was listed.

When making planning permission decisions, we consider various things, including:

  • The impact on the area and people living nearby
  • Development policies including the local plan
  • National legislation
  • Village design statements
  • Flood risk areas
  • Our natural and built heritage.

Check your local planning authority

There are two planning authorities for East Hampshire. We cover one third of the area, the South Downs National Park Authority (SDNPA) which stretches from Eastbourne to Winchester covers the rest.

You can check the South Downs National Park website to see if you live in the area.

East Hampshire

South Downs National Park

Officers at EHDC will process your claim on behalf of the South Downs National Park, but it is important you know if your claim is inside or outside the park because their pre-application advices fees and local requirements policies are different.