Self and custom build register

Self and custom build register

The terms 'self-build' and 'custom-build' are used to describe situations where individuals or groups are involved in creating their own home. The amount of personal involvement will vary. For example, some self-builders physically build all or part of a home themselves. At the other end of the scale, a developer may find a site and then seek a number of self-build clients and build their homes to their specification under a contract.

We are trying to assess the level of interest for self-build or custom-build homes in East Hampshire, outside the South Downs National Park. This information will help us decide if there is a demand locally, and to develop specific planning policies for the provision of self-build or custom housing plots.

To register your interest, please fill out our online application form.

Anyone entered onto the register may apply in writing to amend that entry.

Self-build homes

Self-build describes projects where the people involved play a very significant part in the process. They may help organise the project, commission an architect or builder, or do some of the construction or finishing off work too. Self-building does not necessarily mean picking up bricks and physically getting stuck in - most self-builders will be involved in the creative side of the process.

Custom-build homes

Custom-build describes a more 'hands-off' approach where a specialist developer co-ordinates the whole process for the people involved.

Affordable housing and rental schemes

Affordable housing may also be self-built.

In a rented custom-build scheme, tenants could be involved in self-build or agreeing to 'self-finish' homes perhaps in return for reduced rents or other benefits.

Registering your interest in self-build or custom-build homes

So that we can get a realistic idea of local demand, we would ask that you only register if you can meet the following criteria:

  • You are aged over 18
  • You are a British Citizen, a national of an EEA State other than the United Kingdom, or a national of Switzerland
  • You are seeking (either alone or with others) to acquire a serviced plot of land in East Hampshire District Council’s area (outside the South Downs National Park) to build a house to occupy as your sole or main residence
  • You are an association which is eligible for entry in the register if each member of the association meets all of the above eligibility requirements

At this stage, you are making no commitment - we are just trying to find out how much local demand there is for self-build housing.

You are agreeing that we can use the data you provide to understand the demand for custom-build and self-build housing.

In preparing this register, we are making no commitment to provide self-build or custom-build plots.

The register will not be a public document, but we may publish headline data from it annually.