New signs are installed by the council on behalf of the Highway Authority to regulate, advise and give directional information to the road user.
The Highway Code gives examples of the most common signs in normal use:
- Regulatory signs: Signs with red circles
- Warning signs: Mostly triangular
- Direction signs: Mostly rectangular destinations and map type
- Information signs: Mostly rectangular.
All signs on the highway must be authorised by the council.
For information on applying for signs for your organisation on the highway see the pages relating to Directional Highway Signs, Tourist Signs and New Developments & Special Events Signage.
- Report a problem with a traffic sign or marking (external link)