East Hampshire District Council, Representatives of the Charitable and Voluntary Sectors, The Civilian Community of Whitehill and Bordon and The Armed Forces Community in Bordon Garrison
A Community Covenant is a voluntary statement of mutual support between a civilian community and its local Armed Forces Community.
- Armed Forces Community Covenant (pdf 286 kb)
Community Covenants are intended to complement, at local level, the Armed Forces Covenant, which outlines the moral obligation between the Nation, the Government and the Armed Forces. The aim of the Community Covenant is to encourage local communities to support the Service community in their area and promote understanding and awareness amongst the public of issues affecting the Armed Forces Community.
Many people have become involved in supporting the Service community through Service charities, or more recently by participating in Armed Forces Day. They have shown their support through fundraising, military celebrations and open days, attending homecoming parades and repatriation ceremonies and offering commercial discounts. Even simple demonstrations of support, such as displaying the Armed Forces Day window sticker in cars and businesses, have had a positive effect and boosted the morale of our Armed Forces community. The Community Covenant scheme aims to build on this local level of support.
The aims of the Armed Forces Community Covenant are to:
- Encourage local communities to support the Armed Forces community in their areas
- Nurture public understanding and awareness amongst the public of issues affecting the Armed Forces community
- Recognise and remember the sacrifices faced by the Armed Forces Community
- Encourage activities which help to integrate the Armed Forces Community into local life
- Encourage the Armed Forces Community to help and support the wider community, whether through participation in events and joint projects, or other forms of engagement
The Community Covenant is supported by the Community Covenant Grant Scheme which has been established to financially support projects, at the local level, which strengthen the ties or the mutual understanding between members of the Armed Forces Community and the wider community in which they live.