Register of electors

The register of electors is the list of everyone who is registered to vote. The council updates it every year using the details from the annual canvass of the register.

If you do not think you are on the register of electors at your current address, you can register on-line on the register to vote website. The register is updated on a monthly basis.

Between September and November monthly updates are not published while the annual canvass of the electoral register takes place.

Annual canvass

Letters and canvass forms for the annual canvass are delivered from August.

Please ensure you check the form and respond where required as soon as you can. Canvassers may telephone or call at your property where no response has been received if required in October.

Complete the household update service online

What is the annual canvass of the electoral register?

Letters and canvass forms are sent to every household giving details of what information is currently held on the electoral register at that property. Occupiers are required to check the information and confirm that it is correct or make any changes that are necessary so that a revised register can be published on 1 December.

Different forms are sent to all residential properties during the canvass, please check the form carefully and respond as soon as you can, only if it requires you to do so.

If you have not received a form in relation to this year’s annual canvass then please let us know by calling us on 01730 234350 or emailing us at

When responding

If the information is correct, please confirm this by:

And entering part 1 and part 2 of the security code which is on the form.

If the information is wrong and you need to make changes (including adding and deleting people) you can also update the details online and enter parts one and two of the security code.

Each new person will also have to register individually on the register to vote website.

Please respond as soon as possible so your details can be updated.

The Register is not connected to any other council records

The register is not connected to any other council records; paying council tax is not enough to make sure you can vote

The register is updated on a monthly basis during the rest of the year, with the alterations being published between January and September.

There are two registers. Why?

Using information received from the public, registration officers keep two registers – the electoral register and the open register.

The Electoral Register

You cannot view the register of electors online, you will need to contact the elections team by email or phone 01730 234350 to find out how to access the Electoral Register.

The electoral register lists the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote in public elections. The register is used for electoral purposes, such as making sure only eligible people can vote. It is also used for other limited purposes specified in law, such as:

  • detecting crime (e.g. fraud)
  • calling people for jury service
  • checking credit applications. 

The Open Register

The Open Register is an extract of the Electoral Register, but is not used for elections. It can be bought by any person, company or organisation. For example, it is used by businesses and charities to confirm name and address details.

Your name and address will be included in the open register unless you ask for them to be removed. Removing your details from the open register does not affect your right to vote.

You can find more information about both registers and how they may be used on the register to vote website for the open and full electoral register.

Your personal information

We will only use the information you give us for electoral purposes. We will look after personal information securely and we will follow the Data Protection Act 1998.

We will not give personal information about you and the other people in your household to anyone else or another organisation unless we have to by law.

If you need to make changes to your personal information on the electoral register then you can contact us at