Our Food & Safety team is still working as normal and if any businesses proving food services have questions or need advice while operating they should get in touch via the following contact details:
Telephone: 01730 266551
The Food & Safety Team make sure that food premises comply with food safety legislation at all stages of production, storage, distribution and service or sale.
Officers inspect food premises and advise businesses on compliance with the food safety regulations.
Inspection of food premises
Officers from the Food Safety Team ensure food safety in a number of ways:
- Assessing the standard of premises where food is prepared
- Monitoring the processes used to prepare food
- Providing free advice to food businesses about premises, equipment or processes
- Training and educating food handlers
- Using the law to require food businesses to improve their premises or processes
- Using the law to prohibit food premises or processes used.
Where contraventions of food legislation are found, officers have powers to serve notice on business owners. They can also prohibit processes or the use of unsatisfactory equipment or in extreme cases close premises.
Inspections are planned using a priority system, which is based on the potential risk posed by the nature of the operation carried out by the business.
The more high risk businesses include hospital kitchens, food manufacturers and processors, butchers' shops and large catering establishments.
Low risk premises include small retailers of packaged foods.
Most food businesses are of a medium or low risk.
Find out if your local food business has a good hygiene rating from the Food Standards Agency.