Landlords advice

Please note that if your tenant has made a claim for Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based) effective from 08/02/2016 and they are single, without children or a disability then they may be required to claim Universal Credit.

Universal Credit may include money towards their housing costs. Your tenant will have to arrange to start paying their own rent, if they don’t already do this directly to you.

Find out more about Universal Credit.

Housing benefit administered by the Local Authority

If you are a private landlord, the amount of housing benefit your tenant can receive is set by the Local Housing Allowance (LHA).

If your tenant is receiving housing benefit and is 8 weeks or more behind with their rent, you can ask for the benefit to be paid directly to you.

You should put your request in writing, with the following details:

  • How much your tenant owes
  • The period this covers.

Sometimes we will also arrange for the benefit to be paid directly to you if your tenant is a vulnerable person who finds it hard to manage their money.

Please note that we cannot discuss details of your tenant’s housing benefit claim with you.

When housing benefit is to be paid directly to you, we will let you know:

  • How much housing benefit your tenant is due each week
  • When the payments will start
  • If the amount of their benefit changes
  • If their benefit is suspended, or ends
  • If we are deducting an amount from their benefit to recover an overpayment. (If you don’t agree that you should repay the overpayment, you must contact us within one calendar month to ask for a review of the decision).

Your responsibilities

You must check regularly to confirm that your tenant is still living at the property.

You must tell us immediately if you know of any changes in the circumstances of your tenants that may affect their benefit eg if they move out of the property while still liable for the rent.