Creative Footsteps 2022 will from 5-13 November, keep an eye out on our social media for more information.
Between 2 and 10 October the area’s first nature and literary festival will celebrate local literary greats and their love of the East Hampshire countryside.
Follow in the footsteps of author Jane Austen, our first ecologist and naturalist Gilbert White, the wartime poet Edward Thomas and other literary greats with the Creative Footsteps festival.
The event includes short, guided nature walks, writing and poetry workshops, garden tours, trails, yoga and more.
Saturday 2 October
- Mindful autumn nature walk and poetry-writing workshop at Jane Austen’s House in Chawton. 10am–12.30pm, £25 per person.
- Storytelling nature walk around Selborne. 10.30am–12pm, or 1.30–3pm, suitable for ages 5+, £5 per person.
- Edward Thomas Literary Festival at Petersfield Museum. A wide range of events.
Sunday 3 October
- Walk in the footsteps of the First World War-time poet Edward Thomas, starting at Bedales School. 10am–1pm, from £6 per person.
- The poetry of gardens: A garden tour with readings from poems within the Chawton House collection. 2–3.30pm, £5 per person.
Monday 4 October
- Walk and discussion starting at Gilbert White’s House with nature writer, conservationist and composer Laurence Rose. 11am–1pm, £10 per person.
- Estate walk at Chawton House. 2–3.30pm, £5 per person.
Tuesday 5 October
- Photography workshop at Chawton House. 10am–1pm, £45 per person including light lunch.
Wednesday 6 October
- Autumnal flora ‘Selborniensis Walk’ around Gilbert White’s Selborne. 11am–1pm, £10 per person.
- Curator's tour of Botanical Women, Chawton House. 2.30–3.30pm, £12 per person.
Thursday 7 October
- An introduction to Jane Austen in Chawton. 11am–12.30pm, £5 per person.
- Learn about Gilbert White’s Alton from local historian Jane Hurst at the Allen Gallery. 7.30–9pm, £6.50 per person.
- An introduction to Obstinate Headstrong Girls, led by Jane Austen’s House Museum. 7.30–8.30pm via Zoom, £5 per person.
Friday 8 October
- Walking tour of Gilbert White’s Alton.11am–12.30pm, £5 per person.
- Yoga workshop hosted by Chawton House. 9.30–10.30am, £10 per person.
Saturday 9 October
- An introduction to Jane Austen in Alton. 11am–12.30pm, £5 per person.
- Autumn Walk and Workshop: Persuasion at Jane Austen’s House. 10am–12.30pm, £25 per person.
Sunday 10 October
- Book launch for Nicola Chester’s On Gallows Down. 2pm, other details TBC.
All events may be subject to change. Check the website for details.