Support for struggling families through the Household Support Fund

Monday, 18 July, 2022

People who are already receiving Housing Benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit and have applied for a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) but are in exceptional need can apply now for a one-off grant through the Household Support Fund.

The fund can be used to help cover rent arrears built up before a benefit claim was made.

These grants have been funded by central government and allocated to East Hampshire District Council (EHDC) by Hampshire County Council.

The scheme runs until 30 September 2022 or until the funds have been allocated.

EHDC has been working with housing associations, Citizens Advice and debt support agencies to ensure that those who need it most are aware of the scheme.

Councillor Julie Butler, EHDC Deputy Leader and portfolio holder for Community said:

“With the current jump in inflation affecting the lowest paid in our society the most, there are some families and individuals that are really struggling.

“I hope that these grants will help those most in need to feel like they can keep their heads above water.

“I encourage families that receive benefits but are still struggling financially to check our website to see if they’re eligible for a grant.”

Find out more and apply for the Household Support Fund.