Re-use of public sector information

The Re-use of Public Sector Information Regulations 2005 allow individuals and companies to re-use information held in the public sector.

Public sector information means information that the council produces as part of its public task. ‘Public task’ means its core role and functions, as defined in legislation or established through custom and practice.

RPSI does not apply to recorded information if someone else holds the intellectual property rights (e.g. copyright or database right). The council can only permit re-use if it holds the intellectual property rights in the information.

The regulations say public organisations, such as the council must:

  • publish a list of the main documents which can be re-used
  • publish any standard conditions associated with re-use
  • publish any standard charges associated with re-use
  • operate a request procedure
  • be fair, consistent and non-discriminatory
  • operate a complaints/appeals procedure

There are some exemptions to these regulations and these cover:

  • documents held in libraries, archives and educational or research establishments
  • documents exempt from disclosure under Freedom of Information or Data Protection legislation
  • documents where the copyright or intellectual property rights are owned or controlled by a person or organisation other than the public sector body
  • documents held by public service broadcasters

Making an application

To make an application, you should provide the information listed below in writing.

Please email or write to:

Customer Services, East Hampshire District Council, Penns Place, Petersfield, GU31 4EX.

  • State your name and address
  • Specify which documents or information you wish to re-use
  • State how the document or information is to be re-used

Making a decision

We will action your request as quickly as possible and expect to provide a full response within 20 working days. If we are unable to respond within this timeframe due to the size of the request or the complexity we will contact you to explain the reason for delay.

Licences for re-use

You may need to take out a licence for the re-use. If so, we will tell you which type of licence you should apply for.

Complaints procedure

Under Regulation 17 of The Re-use of Public Sector Information Regulations 2015, East Hampshire District Council has an obligation to establish a transparent complaints procedure for any complaints related to the regulations.