Information on planned roadworks can be found on the Road Works website. It gives information about road closures, roadworks, obstructions, events and other information for road users in Hampshire.

Request a road closure

If you wish to close a road for statutory works (water, gas, etc) please contact Hampshire County Council (HCC) at the earliest opportunity to discuss your requirements and obtain a licence to undertake the works. This is important to ensure that works do not clash with any other planned roadworks or another event/road closure nearby.

Once you have received approval from HCC please complete the following application form and return it to

When submitting your application please ensure you attach:

  • A plan of the exact location to be closed, including distances if appropriate
  • A plan of the diversion route and details of diversionary signage.

All applications must be submitted no less than 6 weeks in advance of the proposed closure.


Closure under section 14(1) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act: £1,850 + 2 adverts in the local press (advertising cost to be processed separately following confirmation of price by press).

Emergency Closure under section 14(2) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act: £2,150 + 2 adverts in the local press if closure is more than 21 days.