Social media accounts
Social media guidelines
We use social media to share information about our services, consultations, campaigns and any other council-related information. We are committed to creating a safe, polite and honest environment on our social media platforms. We welcome discussion, debate and challenge on our social media platforms. We want you to hold us to account and give our decisions robust scrutiny.
However, if we consider comments to cause offence to members of the public and officers of the council then we will remove these. If similar comments continue to be posted by the same user then we will consider blocking that user from commenting on our posts.
We will remove inflammatory, obscene or profane content and ban or block those users who write comments that are:
- defamatory, misleading or false
- abusive or threatening – this includes swearing
- unnecessarily name council staff or workers
- obscene, profane or sexually oriented
- discriminatory in any way
- promoting illegal activity
- promoting individual products or services
- the same message posted multiple times, otherwise known as 'spamming'
- controversial, irrelevant and off topic messages otherwise known as 'trolling'
- yours or anyone else’s personal information e.g. contact details
Hate and harassment
Personal attacks of any kind, or offensive comments that target or disparage any ethnic, racial, age, or religious group, gender, sexual orientation or disability status are prohibited, and may be reported.
Hate and harassment can take the form of criminal or non-criminal behaviour and can include offensive comments or images on social media. We will remove or block any contributions or contributors who post hate-related messages on our accounts. We may also screenshot posts that we consider to contain hate or harassment and send these to the police for investigation if required.
When we're available
Our social media pages are monitored between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday, except for public holidays.
If you have an urgent query please email us at email@example.com
Questions or concerns
If you have questions about these social media guidelines or if you notice any offensive comments on our social media channels at any time, please send us a private message on Twitter or Instagram, or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.