Taxi and private hire licences

Coronavirus update

During the current coronavirus outbreak, licensing requirements have changed for taxi and private hire vehicles.

Taxi and private hire licences

You need a licence to drive a taxi (sometimes called a hackney carriage) or a private hire vehicle.

You need an operator’s licence to run a taxi or private hire vehicle company.

Taxis can be flagged down in the street or they can pick up from taxi ranks. They must have an illuminated roof sign and a yellow identification plate on the rear of the vehicle. Fares are metered.

Private hire vehicles must be pre-booked through a private hire operator. They must have a green identification on the rear of the vehicle. They can set their own fares.

All licensed drivers and vehicles must undergo stringent checks to ensure that the travelling public are provided with a safe, comfortable and reliable service.

DBS checks

If you apply for a licence, you will need to book an appointment with us to complete an application for a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check.

Licensing fees

A full list of our licensing fees can be found on our prices for council services webpage.


The following public notice detailing the proposed new licence fees is currently out for consultation.

Taxi and private hire licensing policy

Public register

By law, we have to make certain registers of licence holders publicly available.


Dual Hackney Carriage Private Hire Vehicle Driver Licence

Hackney Carriage Vehicle Licence

Private Hire Vehicle Operator Licence

Private Hire Vehicle Licence

Restricted Private Hire Driver's Licence