During the current coronavirus pandemic, the Licensing Authority will apply the following changes to normal licensing requirements:
Mechanical tests for licenced vehicles
In line with the DVLA granting a 6 month exemption from MOT testing for all cars, vans and motorcycles from 30 March 2020, EHDC will grant a 6 month exemption from mechanical tests for licenced Hackney Carriage and Private Hire vehicles from 30 March 2020.
Vehicle licence reminder letters will continue to be sent out to vehicle owners and these will advise you as and when the extension is applied to your vehicle.
Vehicles must be kept in a roadworthy condition and garages remain open for essential repair work.
Licensing requirements to maintain a licenced vehicle in good repair and condition will remain in place and vehicles not meeting this standard will be dealt with in the normal way.
Extension for medicals
A 6 month extension will be given to medicals required for licenced drivers who have not experienced any changes in their medical condition since their last medical examination undertaken for their drivers’ licence. Individuals will be required to sign a declaration to confirm this.
The extension will not apply to those due any additional medical tests as required by the DVLA Group 2 medical standard for example a 3 yearly exercise test due to a history of cardiovascular disease.
Please note that if you are found to have made a false declaration, enforcement action will be taken and this may result in your licence being suspended or revoked.
There is no change in the requirement for an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check. Drivers’ licence will not be renewed unless you have submitted your application via the Post Office and it is being processed/has been processed.
Taxi and private hire licences
You need a licence to drive a taxi (sometimes called a hackney carriage) or a private hire vehicle.
You need an operator’s licence to run a taxi or private hire vehicle company.
Taxis can be flagged down in the street or they can pick up from taxi ranks. They must have an illuminated roof sign and a yellow identification plate on the rear of the vehicle. Fares are metered.
Private hire vehicles must be pre-booked through a private hire operator. They must have a green identification on the rear of the vehicle. They can set their own fares.
All licensed drivers and vehicles must undergo stringent checks to ensure that the travelling public are provided with a safe, comfortable and reliable service.
If you apply for a licence, you will need to book an appointment with us to complete an application for a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check.
A full list of our licensing fees can be found on our prices for council services webpage.
The following public notice detailing the proposed new licence fees is currently out for consultation.
- Public notice - proposed new licence fees (pdf 121 kb)
Taxi and private hire licensing policy
- Policy statement 2015-18 (pdf 321 kb)
- License enforcement policy 2015-18 (pdf 260 kb)
- Driver, vehicle and operator conditions (pdf 298 kb)
- Penalty points scheme (pdf 158 kb)
By law, we have to make certain registers of licence holders publicly available.
Dual Hackney Carriage Private Hire Vehicle Driver Licence
- Dual Hackney Carriage Private Hire Vehicle Driver Licence - New (word 77 kb)
- Dual Hackney Carriage Private Hire Vehicle Driver Licence - Renewal (word 69 kb)
Hackney Carriage Vehicle Licence
- Hackney Carriage Vehicle Licence - New (pdf 180 kb)
- Hackney Carriage Vehicle Licence - Renewal (pdf 179 kb)
- Hackney Carriage Vehicle Licence - Change or transfer (pdf 180 kb)
- Hackney Carriage Vehicle Licence - Temporary (pdf 179 kb)
Private Hire Vehicle Operator Licence
- Private Hire Vehicle Operator Licence - New (word 76 kb)
- Private Hire Vehicle Operator Licence - Renewal (word 73 kb)
Private Hire Vehicle Licence
- Private Hire Vehicle Licence - Temporary (pdf 178 kb)
- Private Hire Vehicle Licence - New (word 54 kb)
- Private Hire Vehicle Licence - Renewal (word 63 kb)
- Private Hire Vehicle Licence - Transfer (pdf 180 kb)
- Private Hire Vehicle Licence - Exemption (pdf 145 kb)
Restricted Private Hire Driver's Licence
- Restricted Private Hire Driver's Licence - New (word 78 kb)
- Restricted Private Hire Driver's Licence - Renewal (word 73 kb)