What happens when I contact housing for help?

When you contact the housing team, we will ask you what help you are looking for. Please ensure that you only visit the council offices during our open surgeries, Monday to Friday 9:30–12:30.

If you are facing homelessness within the next 56 days

  • We will conduct a short triage interview over the telephone to establish what assistance you are looking for and your circumstances.
  • If appropriate we will ask you to come into the offices for a booked appointment.
  • This booked appointment will allow us to conduct a full Personalised Assessment and will take approximately 1.5–2 hours.
  • You will be asked to bring a range of information with you to support your circumstances and prove your identity. Failure to provide the requested information on this day, may result in a delay in the assistance we are able to provide to you.
  • You will be notified of the outcome of the Personalised Assessment within 10 days.

If you are homeless today or ‘rough sleeping’

  • You will be asked to come into the council offices immediately and the Emergency Officer will assist you.

If you wish to join the housing register or discuss your Hampshire Home Choice Application

  • You will be passed to the Housing Support Officers to assist you.

The Housing team will want to gather information about yourself and the circumstances which have led to you contacting the service for assistance.

What happens after my booked interview?

Once we have completed a Personalised Assessment with you we will establish if we have a duty to assist you. This will fall under a ‘Prevent Duty’, a ‘Relief Duty’ or no duty.

What are my responsibilities?

Once a personalised interview has taken place, you will receive a personalised Housing Plan. This will set out what your Housing Advisor will do to assist you but also what action you are required to improve your own circumstances.

Example of Personal Plan Actions:

  • Required to register on Hampshire Home Choice. This is a choice based lettings scheme which all the housing associations with stock in the district are signed up to. You will be expected to bid on all suitable properties which are advertised.
  • Required to engage with a support agency such as Two Saints.
  • Contact local Letting Agents to find private rented property