Animal welfare

Animal welfare

Our Animal Welfare team provides the following services:


You need a licence to run a business involving animals, such as a pet shop, riding stables, animal boarding establishment, breeding kennel, or zoo.


We deal with animal-related issues, such as dog fouling, noisy dogs, dangerous dogs, and animal welfare concern, such as cruelty and neglect.

Lost and stray dogs

Our dog wardens  provide the following services:

  • collection of lost and stray dogs, and rehoming where necessary
  • microchipping
  • dog behaviour advice
  • talks to schools and other groups about our work.

Dog control orders at Queen Elizabeth Country Park

Dog control orders are in place on parts of Butser Hill, making the following an offence in this area:

  • failing to clean up your dog’s mess
  • taking more than 6 dogs at a time onto the site
  • letting your dog off a lead in areas where livestock is grazing.

You can see the boundaries of the orders on the Plan of dog control orders (pdf 7mb).

The details of the three orders:

Dog fouling

The council is responsible for making sure that public areas are clear of dog mess.