This is means tested grant (the amount depends on your income and savings) for up to £30,000 to make changes to a home to allow a disabled person to continue living there.
Who can apply?
- Home owners
- Housing association tenants
- Private tenants
- Landlords who have a disabled tenant.
Applicants must be referred by a social services occupational therapist.
What type of work qualifies?
You can use the grant to make changes that:
- Improve access, both to and from, and within the home
- Help the disabled person care for resident dependants, such as children
- Make the home safe
- Provide or improve heating
- Help the disabled person use basic amenities.
Who is likely to qualify under the means test?
You are likely to get the full grant if you:
- Are claiming for a disabled child (18 years old or younger)
- Get Income Support (including Guaranteed Pension Credit)
- Have an income under £15,050 and claim either council tax benefit, housing benefit or working tax credit.
Even if you have significant savings, you will often get some help to pay for the work.