CIL process and forms

An explanation of the Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) process can be found on the Planning Portal - Community Infrastructure Levy.

It is recommended that applicants refer to these pages prior to making a planning application for development.

All forms can be downloaded from via the Planning Portal - Community Infrastructure Levy Forms.

Please note that due to the update in the CIL Regulations which was implemented 1 September 2019, new CIL forms have been added and/or names updated.

Please also be aware that should you be liable for CIL and fail to pay the liable amount by the due date, surcharges and interest according to the regulations may be incurred.

Further information

In addition to the Planning Portal’s information on CIL, we have produced a Developer Contributions Guide. This explains the CIL process, from planning permission being granted to collection, and when each of the CIL forms needs to be submitted to the council. The guide also explains how CIL works alongside Section 106 (S106).

A quick overview of the basic process is provided as follows:

Step 1: When submitting a planning application for new retail or residential development you should also include the CIL Additional Information Requirement Form and CIL Form:2 Assumption of Liability. This will enable the council to determine whether the proposal is liable to pay CIL and calculate the CIL liability.

Step 2: As soon as is practicable after planning permission first permits development, the council will issue you with a Liability Notice. The Liability Notice will set out how much CIL is payable at the point the chargeable development is commenced.

Step 3: Before the commencement of the CIL liable development, the following forms need to then be submitted to the council:

  • 'Form 6 – Commencement Notice'. Form 6 will notify the council when the chargeable development is to be commenced to allow us to collect the CIL payable. Form 6 must be submitted before the chargeable development commences and in addition to any notice regarding Building Regulations.

Step 4: Following receipt of a valid 'Form 6 - Commencement Notice', the council will then issue a Demand Notice to the person who has assumed liability to pay CIL. The Demand Notice will set out the precise details of the amount of CIL payable and payment options (including where CIL can be paid in instalments in accordance with the council’s Instalment Policy).

It is also your responsibility to notify us if there is a change in the party liable to pay CIL which can be done through submitting 'Form 3 – Withdrawal of Assumption of Liability' or 'Form 4 – Transfer of Liability' as applicable.

Optional Steps: If you intend to claim a self build exemption for a whole dwelling, you need to complete 'Form 7: Self Build Exemption Claim Part 1' - and obtain approval before commencing development. This will need to be followed with supplementary information in 'Form 7: Self Build Exemption Claim Part 2' - within 6 months of completion of the build.

If you intend to claim an exemption for a residential annex or extension, you will need to complete either ‘Form 8: Self Build Residential Annex Exemption Claim’ – or ‘Form 9: Self Build Residential Extension Claim’ – and obtain approval before commencing development.

Development under General Consent and the Community Infrastructure Levy

Development commenced under general consent is liable to pay CIL. 'General consent' includes permitted development rights granted under the The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) Order 2015 (as amended).

If you intend to commence development under general consent you must submit a Notice of Chargeable Development (Form 5 - Notice of chargeable development) to the local planning authority before you commence this development.

The only exception to this requirement to submit a Notice of Chargeable Development is if the development in question is less than 100 square metres of net additional 'gross internal area'.

If the development meets this requirement a Notice of Chargeable Development does not have to be submitted before the commencement of development.