If you wish to make a complaint against a councillor you can do so by printing off, completing and returning this form.

Councillors' conduct complaint guidance notes

(For the purpose of this guidance the term ‘councillor’ includes independent/co-opted members of the council)

The points listed below will help you decide whether this is the correct procedure for your complaint. You should speak to the contact name listed at the end of this guidance.

Your complaint must be about conduct that occurred while the councillor(s) complained about were in office.

Conduct of an individual before they were elected, co-opted or appointed to the authority, or after they have resigned or otherwise ceased to be a councillor, cannot be considered by the Assessment Sub-Committee

  • The Code of Conduct came into effect on 25 July 2012, although some authorities adopted the Code of Conduct earlier. If your complaint concerns matters that occurred before 25 July 2012 you should contact the contact officer (see end of this guidance) before making your complaint to check whether it is within the jurisdiction of the Assessment Sub-Committee to consider
  • Your complaint must be about one or more named councillors of East Hampshire District Council
  • Your complaint must be that the councillor(s) has, or may have, breached the Code of Conduct.  You may also contact any of the officers listed at the end of this guidance if you require further information
  • Complaints about dissatisfaction with a decision or action of the authority or one of its committees, a service provided by the authority or the authority’s procedures do not fall within the jurisdiction of the Code of Conduct. Complaints about the actions of people employed by the authority also do not fall within the jurisdiction of the Code of Conduct. Your complaint must be in writing. If a disability or language issue prevents you from making your complaint in writing you may contact East Hampshire District Council's Customer Services on 01730 266551 for assistance

It is important to note that not every complaint that falls within the jurisdiction of the Code of Conduct will be referred for investigation or other action.

How should I set out my complaint?

It is very important that you set your complaint out fully and clearly, and provide all the information at the outset. You should also provide any documents or other material that you wish to be considered.

We recommend that you use our complaint form or provide a covering note summarising what you are complaining about, especially if your complaint includes a lot of supporting documentation.

In the summary you should tell us exactly what each person you are complaining about said or did that has caused you to complain.

If you are sending supporting documentation please cross-reference it against the summary of your complaint.

You should be as detailed as possible and substantiate your complaint where you can.

Although you are not required to prove your complaint at this stage of proceedings, you do have to demonstrate that you have reasonable grounds for believing that the councillor(s) complained about has breached the Code of Conduct.

Contact names: