Taxi and private hire licences

Advice for drivers, operators and owners of taxis or private hire vehicles (PHVs) to protect against coronavirus can be found on the GOV.UK website.

Hackney carriage fare card

Taxi and private hire licences

You need a licence to drive a taxi (sometimes called a hackney carriage) or a private hire vehicle.

You need an operator’s licence to run a taxi or private hire vehicle company.

Taxis can be flagged down in the street or they can pick up from taxi ranks. They must have an illuminated roof sign and a yellow identification plate on the rear of the vehicle. Fares are metered.

Private hire vehicles must be pre-booked through a private hire operator. They must have a green identification on the rear of the vehicle. They can set their own fares.

All licensed drivers and vehicles must undergo stringent checks to ensure that the travelling public are provided with a safe, comfortable and reliable service.

Important information

Tax conditionality check

From 4 April 2022 the renewal of a taxi driver licence, private hire driver licence and private hire operator licence will only be given if the person, company or any type of partnership applying for the licence can show they have completed a tax check with the HMRC.

If a tax check has not been completed, the Licensing Authority will be unable to consider your application to renew your licence and your current licence will expire. Further guidance can be found on the GOV.UK website.

DBS checks

If you apply for a licence, you will need to book an appointment with us to complete an application for a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check.

Licensing fees

A full list of our licensing fees can be found on our prices for council services webpage.

Taxi and private hire licensing policy

Public register

By law, we have to make certain registers of licence holders publicly available.

Application forms

Dual hackney carriage private hire vehicle driver licence

Hackney carriage vehicle licence

Private hire vehicle operator licence

Private hire vehicle licence

Restricted private hire driver's licence

Courier fraud leaflet

Fraudsters have been using unsuspecting couriers and taxi drivers to steal thousands of pounds from elderly or vulnerable members of the public.

If you are, or you know, a taxi driver, we need your help to prevent further crimes and to catch those responsible.
Find out more in the leaflet from Hampshire Constabulary below: