During the current coronavirus outbreak, licensing requirements have changed for taxi and private hire vehicles.
Bookings for this training is now closed.
A letter was sent from the Licensing Team to all EHDC licenced Hackney Carriage and Private Hire drivers in March 2020 advising of the availability of safeguarding training via the Blue Lamp Trust. 50 spaces were offered on two course dates in April 2020 free of charge. There were booked up by drivers very quickly.
Unfortunately this classroom based training had to be cancelled due to the on-going coronavirus pandemic.
The Blue Lamp Trust have now adapted the classroom based course to allow attendance via video conferencing. The online video conferencing platform used by the Blue Lamp Trust is Zoom.
Those drivers who were successful in booking a place on the free courses in April were offered a place on the replacement zoom based courses now scheduled for September 2020.
These free places have not been fully booked and there are still a few places available for the course on Tuesday 22nd September (9.00–11.30am) and also on Tuesday 22nd September (13.15–15.45pm).
These remaining few places are now available on a first come, first served basis to any currently licenced EHDC Hackney Carriage and Private Hire drivers. As there are only a few places available they are likely to be booked very quickly.
Bookings are being managed by Eventbrite on behalf of the Blue Lamp Trust. Please book your session online using one of the links below:
You will need to contact the Licensing team to request the password required.
The link will also provide you with details on how to access and download zoom in preparation for attending the course. When you attend the course you will need to show the trainer either your driving licence or your hackney carriage/private hire drivers badge to prove your identity.
Because the course is now being provided in this way there will not be a test at the end of it. However the course is interactive and the tutor will be asking questions throughout the training session, encouraging your participation and assessing your understanding of the information.
Taxi and private hire licences
You need a licence to drive a taxi (sometimes called a hackney carriage) or a private hire vehicle.
You need an operator’s licence to run a taxi or private hire vehicle company.
Taxis can be flagged down in the street or they can pick up from taxi ranks. They must have an illuminated roof sign and a yellow identification plate on the rear of the vehicle. Fares are metered.
Private hire vehicles must be pre-booked through a private hire operator. They must have a green identification on the rear of the vehicle. They can set their own fares.
All licensed drivers and vehicles must undergo stringent checks to ensure that the travelling public are provided with a safe, comfortable and reliable service.
If you apply for a licence, you will need to book an appointment with us to complete an application for a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check.
A full list of our licensing fees can be found on our prices for council services webpage.
The following public notice detailing the proposed new licence fees is currently out for consultation.
- Public notice - proposed new licence fees (pdf 121 kb)
Taxi and private hire licensing policy
- Policy statement 2015-18 (pdf 321 kb)
- License enforcement policy 2015-18 (pdf 260 kb)
- Driver, vehicle and operator conditions (pdf 298 kb)
- Penalty points scheme (pdf 158 kb)
By law, we have to make certain registers of licence holders publicly available.
Dual Hackney Carriage Private Hire Vehicle Driver Licence
- Dual Hackney Carriage Private Hire Vehicle Driver Licence - New (word 77 kb)
- Dual Hackney Carriage Private Hire Vehicle Driver Licence - Renewal (word 69 kb)
Hackney Carriage Vehicle Licence
- Hackney Carriage Vehicle Licence - New (pdf 180 kb)
- Hackney Carriage Vehicle Licence - Renewal (pdf 179 kb)
- Hackney Carriage Vehicle Licence - Change or transfer (pdf 180 kb)
- Hackney Carriage Vehicle Licence - Temporary (pdf 179 kb)
Private Hire Vehicle Operator Licence
- Private Hire Vehicle Operator Licence - New (word 76 kb)
- Private Hire Vehicle Operator Licence - Renewal (word 73 kb)
Private Hire Vehicle Licence
- Private Hire Vehicle Licence - Temporary (pdf 178 kb)
- Private Hire Vehicle Licence - New (word 54 kb)
- Private Hire Vehicle Licence - Renewal (word 63 kb)
- Private Hire Vehicle Licence - Transfer (pdf 180 kb)
- Private Hire Vehicle Licence - Exemption (pdf 145 kb)
Restricted Private Hire Driver's Licence
- Restricted Private Hire Driver's Licence - New (word 78 kb)
- Restricted Private Hire Driver's Licence - Renewal (word 73 kb)