If you need to contact us outside of this time and it cannot wait until the next working day, there is a limited emergency out of hours service. 

There is also a list of emergency contacts which will help with incidents that fall outside the council's remit. 

Emergency out of hours service

In the event of an emergency, please call our main switchboard on 01730 266551.


If you are homeless and in need of housing, we may be able to assist out of hours. We do not have a duty to house every homeless person but we do have a duty to provide advice and assistance to anyone who may need it.

Please call 07850 358156 for assistance, you will be asked to provide personal details which will then be passed to the duty Housing Officer

Home flooding

Please be advised we are only able to help with home flooding issues. Blocked highways drains and flooding of roads are the responsibility of Hampshire County Council.

Surface water flooding can happen for a number of reasons, such as heavy rainfall, blocked drains or overflowing rivers or streams. If your home is affected by flooding the council may be able to give assistance in some circumstances.

For assistance, please call the emergency out of hours number on 07850 358156 and we may be able to help.

Blocked private drains

East Hampshire District Council no longer carries out a private blocked drain clearance service.

We would advise you to contact your local Water Authority, as it may well be their responsibility if your drain is shared.

  • Southern Water operates south of the district, please call 0330 303 0146
  • Thames Water operates north of the district, please call 0800 316 9800.

Dangerous structures

There is no guaranteed out of hours service. It may be possible to assist in an emergency.

For assistance, please call the emergency out of hours number on 07850 358156 and we may be able to help.

Services by other organisations

Lost or stray dogs

There is no out of hours service for lost or stray dogs. However, lost dogs are often taken to the local vets by members of the public and or posted on social media sites such as Facebook or Nextdoor.

If our animal welfare officer has taken your dog then we will check for a tag and a microchip then will attempt to reunite where possible providing these details are correct.

Hampshire County Council – Highway Authority

Hampshire County Council is the highway authority within the East Hampshire District and they are responsible for pot holes, damaged road signs, street lighting and other highway associated issues.

Out of hours can be contacted via the Police control on 101 or the Hampshire County Council website.

Next working day

Fly tipping and dead animals

There is no out of hours service for fly tipping and dead animals. 

However, if the fly tip is causing an obstruction to the highway, this can be reported to the Police on 101 who will liaise with Hampshire County Council (the Highways Authority) to arrange for the obstruction to be moved to one side. 

Alternatively you can call Customer Services the next working day on 01730 266551.

Nuisance complaints (noise, smoke, odour, light)

There is no out of hours service for nuisance complaints. You can report nuisance complaints this to us online or call Customer Services the next working day on 01730 266551.