The Household Support Fund is there to support those in exceptional cases of genuine emergency where existing support from housing benefit, universal credit (housing element) and discretionary housing payments do not meet the exceptional need. The fund can be used to support households with housing cost support through help with rent arrears. 

The Household Support Fund (HSF) runs from 1 April 2024 to 30 September 2024 or until the budget is spent. 

Paying your rent in 2024 – it’s a 53-week year

As 2024 is a leap year there are 53 weeks (or 53 Mondays) in this financial year instead of the usual 52. This has implications for your rent and Universal Credit payments.

Paying your rent in 2024 – it’s a 53-week year

Who can apply 

The person receiving the help must: 

  • be over the age of 16 
  • live in the East Hampshire area

We can only consider helping you if you are in receipt of the housing element of universal credit and live in East Hampshire District Council area or you receive housing benefit paid by East Hampshire District Council. 

There must be a genuine need for an award of HSF and a genuine reason why you are unable to raise the funds yourself. 

The property that you are renting must be affordable and you must be able to manage any shortfall of housing costs.  

What can’t be funded  

  • any application made that is felt to be not an immediate need  
  • applications from those with sufficient income or savings  
  • support with mortgages or personal debts  
  • phone costs or associated expenses 
  • help with payment of your ongoing rent  
  • help with payment of council tax  

Reviewing the decision  

There are no further appeals rights for the grant, the council’s decision is final.   

How to apply

Before you apply, please get the information we are going to ask for: your bank statements, proof of your universal credit award, proof of your rent arrears detailing all transactions over the last 4 months, along with your name and address, this can be a screen shot of your rent account. When you are ready click here: 

Household support fund application form

Upload your evidence here. 

Hampshire County Council have also allocated household support funding for a further food voucher scheme to help households in receipt of council tax support and housing benefit.