What's an apprentice?

Apprentices are aged 16 or over and combine working with studying for a work-based qualification - from GCSEs or equivalent up to degree level.

Apprentices can be new or current employees.

What do I have to do?

You must pay the apprentice at least the minimum wage during their placement with you.

Your apprentice must:

  • work with experienced staff
  • learn job-specific skills
  • study for a work-based qualification during their working week, eg at a college or training organisation.

What support can I get?

You could get a grant or funding to employ an apprentice if you're in England.

The document below sets out the current policy for apprenticeship funding in England.

Extra support from us

We can provide funding to subsidise wages and contribute towards transport and training for apprentices joining businesses in East Hampshire district through the Get East Hants Working Enterprise Apprenticeship Scheme.

Businesses of all sizes are eligible for the scheme. We encourage applications from small and medium sized businesses. Priority will be given to new applicants.

To be eligible for the scheme businesses must:

  • have a physical address in East Hampshire
  • pay business rates to East Hampshire district council
  • offer a minimum of 30 hours per week
  • contribute towards the wages
  • apprentices must live within East Hampshire District area.

What is available?

  • One year's funding per new apprenticeship post
  • up to £400 towards travel
  • up to £1,000 towards training (for over 25s only)

Register your interest in the scheme

For more information about the scheme please contact Sarah Flamson by email: sarah.flamson@easthants.gov.uk

Register your interest

Levels of apprenticeship

Apprenticeships have equivalent educational levels.

  • Intermediate (level, 2) Equivalent to five GCSE passes at grades 4-9
  • Advanced (level, 3) Equivalent to two A level passes
  • Higher (levels, 4, 5, 6 and 7) Equivalent to foundation degree and above
  • Degree (levels, 6 and 7) Equivalent to bachelor's or master's degree