We also offer council tax support which could reduce your bill depending on your income and savings.

Single person discount

If you are the only person aged 18 or over living in a property, you may be entitled to a single adult discount. This discount entitles you to 25% off your council tax bill.

Unoccupied and unfurnished properties

If you own a property that is unoccupied and unfurnished, you may be entitled to a discount on your council tax or have an additional charge to pay


Annexes are areas of living accommodation attached to your main dwelling, which have been separately banded for council tax.

You normally have to pay the full council tax bill for an annexe, but can get a 50% discount if it is used by members of your family. 

The relative can be a husband, wife, parent, child, step-child, grandparent, grandchild, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, nephew, niece.

If the occupier of the annexe is not a family member of the residents of the main dwelling, the discount will not apply.

Disabled person council tax discount

We may be able to grant you a reduction on your council tax if a resident (adult or child) at the property has a disability.

If there's an extra room in your home with certain features essential to a resident with disabilities, or the use of a wheelchair is required indoors then you may qualify for a reduction.

The discount will be a band reduction on your council tax. This means that your property will be treated as though it was in the next lower valuation band.

Students and apprentices

Households where every adult is a full-time student don’t have to pay council tax. 

If a non-student resides with you, they must pay council tax. A 25% discount will be awarded where there is only one adult who is not a student.

If the property is occupied by students and more than one tax payer, no discount will be applied.

If the property is occupied by full time apprentices or youth training trainees, a 25% discount will be awarded.

If you require more information, please email revenues@easthants.gov.uk or call 01730 234400.