Dead animals

The council will remove most dead animals, both domestic and wild, from public roads and council-owned land.

This free service does not cover animals which are smaller than a cat, unless the animal is in an area which is busy with pedestrians, such as a high street. If the animal is micro-chipped the owner is notified.

The council does not remove dead animals from private land. This is the responsibility of the landowner, who can either make their own arrangements to take the animal to a local veterinary surgery or they can contact a private contractor.

Report a dead animal to us

You can report any dead animals you find on the road to us by calling 0300 300 0013.

This includes wild animals like badgers and foxes, as well as domestic pets such as cats and dogs.

Report a car accident with an animal

You must stop and report the accident to the police on 101 if you hit any of the following:

  • Dogs
  • Horses
  • Cattle, eg Cows
  • Pigs
  • Goats
  • Sheep
  • Donkeys and Mules

You must do this as quickly as you can, whether the animal is killed or not.

Farm animals

There are special regulations for disposing of dead farm animals, following outbreaks of foot and mouth disease in England.

All dead farm animals must be disposed of by a registered renderer or at a knackers’ yard:

  • Watson's Knackery, Swanmore
  • Hambledon Hunt Kennels, Droxford
  • Hampshire Hunt Kennels
  • New Forest Fox Hounds
  • Vine & Craven Fox Hounds, Hannington.

Wild birds

If you find 5 or more wild birds dead in the same location, you should report them to the Defra helpline on 0345 933 5577.