The council will remove most dead animals, both domestic and wild, from public roads and council-owned land.

This service does not cover animals which are smaller than a cat, unless the animal is in an area which is busy with pedestrians, such as a high street. If the animal is micro-chipped, the owner will be notified.

The council does not remove dead animals from private land. This is the responsibility of the landowner, who can either make their own arrangements to take the animal to a local veterinary surgery or they can contact a private contractor.

Report a dead animal

Report a dead animal on a public road through your MyEHDC account.

This includes wild animals like badgers and foxes, as well as domestic pets such as cats and dogs.

If a dead animal is obstructing the highway, please call 101.

Report a dead animal on a public road

If you hit an animal with your vehicle

You must stop and report the accident to the police on 101 if you hit any of the following: dogs, horses, cattle, pigs, goats, sheet, donkeys and mules.

You must do this as quickly as you can, whether the animal is killed or not.

Dead farm animals

There are special regulations for disposing of dead livestock.

Wild birds

If you find five or more wild birds dead in the same location, you should report them to the Defra Rural Services Helpline on 03000 200 301.