Graffiti on public land

Graffiti is a criminal offence punishable with possible imprisonment and fines that reflect the real cost of the damage caused and can run into thousands of pounds.

In the event of prosecution, serial ‘taggers’ can be fined a sum that takes into account all incidences for which they are proven responsible, not just the offence for which they were initially apprehended.

At EHDC we have members of the operations team who are trained to remove graffiti quickly and efficiently from your neighbourhood. We strive to remove graffiti effectively and with minimum impact on the environment.

The council aims to deal with racist, obscene or ‘hate crime’ graffiti within one working day of report. Other types of graffiti will be removed within two weeks if it is on public buildings or land.

Report graffiti on land, buildings or structures owned or managed by the council.

Graffiti on private land

The council does not have the authority to deal with reports of graffiti on private or commercial property.

This should be reported to the Police by calling 101. They will be able to give you a crime reference number if it is needed for insurance purposes.

How can the council help?

Private property owners or businesses can request assistance from the council’s operations team who are trained in graffiti removal. 

If you would like us to assist in the removal of graffiti on your property, please contact the support team on 01730 266551 to arrange a site visit and obtain a quotation.

The hourly rate for graffiti removal is £83.00. The hourly rate does not include materials used for the graffiti removal, this will be dependent on where the graffiti is located and the nature and size of the works.

This will be discussed at the site visit. Please note that prior to any work commencing a disclaimer will need to be signed and returned to the support team at EHDC.

If your own property has been targeted by graffiti vandals, we recommend that you report this to the police as an incidence of criminal damage.

Make sure you obtain a crime reference number and check with your Insurer to see if criminal damage is covered under the terms of your buildings insurance policy.

Graffiti on utility company property

Graffiti on utility company property such as BT or Virgin Media boxes or on structures such as bus shelters or railway bridges should be reported directly to the company responsible for the asset rather than the council.