If you have a complaint, it is best to discuss it initially with the person or organisation responsible. They may not realise they are causing a problem.

Try to be reasonable, otherwise your discussions are likely to end in further argument.

Explain the details of your complaint and try to agree a reasonable solution or a compromise.

You should only contact the council after you have tried all reasonable efforts to resolve the issue with the person or organisation responsible.

Report a nuisance

You can report a nuisance by using your MyEHDC account.

Report a nuisance through your MyEHDC account

Please be aware that East Hampshire District Council does not offer a night time monitoring service.