Nuisance smells can be caused by problems with:

  • agricultural practices like spreading slurry or sludge onto land
  • sewage handling facilities
  • food processors and commercial kitchens
  • animals, livestock and poultry
  • paints and solvents from garages or workshops


Under the Environmental Protection Act 1990, we investigate complaints about smells from industrial, trade and business premises.

For the smell to count as a statutory nuisance it must do one of the following:

  • unreasonably and substantially interfere with the use or enjoyment of a home or other premises
  • injure health or be likely to injure health

If there is evidence that a statutory nuisance exists, or is likely to occur in the future, we must serve an abatement notice.

This requires whoever is responsible to stop or restrict the smell.

The notice will usually be served to the person responsible but can also be served on the owner or occupier of the premises.

Some industrial processes are subject to legal controls on odour through environmental permits issued by Environmental Health or the Environment Agency.

Report a odour nuisance

You can report a odour nuisance by using your MyEHDC account.

Report a odour nuisance through your MyEHDC account

Please be aware that East Hampshire District Council does not offer a night time monitoring service.