If you rent your home and you are on a low income, you may be able to claim financial assistance such as Housing Benefit or Universal Credit, to help pay your rent.

Disabled facilities grant

If you have a disability and are a resident of East Hampshire District Council, you may be eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG).

This is a grant to adapt your home to enable you to be more independent.

The DFG is means-tested which means that your income and savings are assessed according to the rules set out in government regulations.

The adaptations must be 'necessary and appropriate' and 'reasonable and practicable' as set out in the Housing Grants, Construction and Regeneration Act 1996.

The maximum amount which could be given is £30,000.

The disability can be caused by physical illness or injury, a major sight, hearing, speech, or mental-health problem, or a learning disability.

Applicants must be referred by a social services occupational therapist.

You are likely to get the full grant if you:

  • Are claiming for a disabled child (18 years old or younger)
  • Get Income Support (including Guaranteed Pension Credit)

Even if you have significant savings, you will often get some help to pay for the work.

Home improvement loan

You can borrow between £2,000 and £25,000 with a home improvement loan.

There are no monthly repayments, just one repayment when the property ownership is transferred.

The loan is means tested, but generally you will be considered if your household income is up to £18,500 after tax and you have savings up to £90,000.

If your income is above this, you may still be considered for a smaller loan.

The property must:

  • be the main residence of the owner and must have been owned for at least 12 months
  • contain a ‘significant hazard’ under the housing health and safety rating system
  • be more than 10 years old
  • contain at least £50,000 equity after all charges on the property.

All loans are at the discretion of the council and subject to available funding.

To apply for a DFG or a home improvement loan, please contact us online or call 01730 266551.