A housing officer for housing, homelessness and Hampshire Home Choice, will only be available Monday to Friday from 0930-1230. Afternoons are for pre-booked appointments only.

If you find yourself in a situation where you are homeless immediately, please call the offices on 01730 234415 between the hours of 9am -5pm when an initial assessment of your needs can be completed over the phone. An out of hours service for emergency cases is available outside of these hours. In this instance, please call 07850 358156.

New legislation - Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Act 2018

After receiving Royal Ascent, the Home Act came into force on Wednesday 20 March 2019.

What does this mean?

If your landlord (private, social or Local Authority) fails to comply with their obligation to ensure their property, your home, is fit for human habitation, free of significant or serious hazards, you, as their tenant will have the right to take court action for breach of contract. Guidance has been issued for your information and advise to understand your rights under the Act.

Guidance has also been issued for your landlord on what this new Act means to them.

If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact us and we will be happy to explains further or provide assistance.

Housing service

The service deals with matters relating to Housing Options and Homelessness in East Hampshire District. There is a great demand for social housing in the district, and the law dictates that we must give priority housing to those with the greatest need.

We many not have a duty to assist you but we are able to offer advice to everyone about their housing situation.

For most households the chances of being offered a property by us is extremely low, and you should think about alternative housing options.

The council no longer manages or provides affordable housing. This is done by not-for-profit organisations called Housing Associations or Social Landlords. They sell or rent properties at a lower cost than market prices and manage thousands of homes in this area. The council operates a choice based lettings scheme, called Hampshire Home Choice, which all the housing associations with stock in the district are signed up to

Meeting your rent on a low income

If you rent your home and you are on a low income, you may be able to claim financial assistance such as Housing Benefit or Universal Credit, to help pay your rent.

Home improvement schemes

Cosy East Hampshire is a council-led scheme to help residents save money by making energy-saving home improvements.

Domestic violence and housing need

Southern Domestic Abuse Service runs refuge accommodation offering support and temporary accommodation to women and children escaping domestic abuse.

They also offer outreach services to women, children, young people and men not staying in a refuge but still in need of advice, support and information.

Understanding the impact of homelessness

Following implementation of the Homelessness Reduction Act 2017, on 3 April 2018, the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) has changed the way data from local authorities on statutory homelessness is collected.

Every quarter, EHDC provides information to the MHCLG about the number of households accepted as homeless and those living in temporary accommodation.

Further information: