Please ensure your event is in the East Hampshire district area when you apply for a temporary event notice. We are unable to process applications that are not in the district. If you are unsure, you can find your local council on the GOV.UK website.

If you’re organising a temporary event and want to serve or sell alcohol, provide late night refreshments, or put on regulated entertainment, you’ll need to complete a temporary event notice (TEN).

When you need a TEN

You need a TEN if:

  • alcohol is sold at your event
  • regulated entertainment
  • food and hot drink are served after 11pm

Find out more about TENs including refusals and how to appeal a refusal on GOV.UK.

Before you start

You should:

A member of the Environmental Health Team may be in contact to discuss this with you

You must submit your TEN application at least 10 working days before the event. This period does not include the day of receipt by the Licensing Team or the day of the event. We advise that you submit your application as soon as you can to avoid refusal of the application and cancellation of the event.

Evaluation process

We will inform the Police and Environmental Health Department when we receive your notice.

If they believe the event would undermine one or more of the licensing objectives, they can serve an objection notice. This notice must be served within 3 working days of receipt of the temporary event notice.

The local licensing authority must hold a hearing if an objection notice is served. They may issue a counter notice if it considers it necessary for the promotion of the licensing objectives.

A decision must be made at least 24 hours before the beginning of the event.

A hearing may decide to attach conditions to the TEN if it relates to premises where a premises licence or club premises certificate is in force.  If an objection is issued in relation to a late TEN, then the event will not go ahead.

Thr Police or Environmental Health Department may modify the TEN with the consent of the premises user. In such a case an objection notice will be deemed to have been withdrawn.

How many TENs you can apply for

For 2022 and 2023 the number of TEN’s allowed per calendar year has been updated. You can now have a maximum 20 TEN’s not exceeding 26 days per calendar year.

You can apply for up to 5 temporary event notices per year without the need for a personal licence. There must be at least 24 hours between events. 

Personal licence holders can apply for up to 50 temporary event notices per year for events at premises with no licence or for premises with a licence, where the licence does not cover planned activities.

No premises will be granted more than 15 temporary event notices per year or for a total of more than 21 days per year.

Temporary event notice fees

  • Temporary event notice - £21.00

Apply for a TEN

Please ensure that you have a payment card ready to pay.

Tacit consent applies after 14 days. More information about tacit consent can be found on our website.