If you pay rent to live in your home and have a low income, you may be able to receive help by claiming housing benefit.

The amount you will get depends on various things such as:

  • your income and savings
  • how many family members live with you
  • your age
  • disabilities

It also depends on how much of your rent qualifies. For example, you can’t get help with any part of your rent that covers things like service charges, heating, lighting and internet.

If you rent from a private landlord (not the council or a housing association), the amount of rent you can get help with is set by the Local Housing Allowance (LHA).

You should apply straightaway if you think you are eligible for housing benefit as it is not always possible to backdate payments. You should also let us know immediately if your circumstances change as any overpayment must be paid back to the council.

Housing benefit exemptions

You cannot usually get housing benefit if:

  • you (or your partner) has savings or capital of £16,000 or more
  • you pay rent to a close relative who lives in the same home as you
  • you own the place where you live
  • you are a student living alone

Need some support?

Connect to Support Hampshire has links to organisations that can help with a wide range of money-related issues including debt, emergency food and keeping our home warm.

Mental Wellbeing Hampshire is a partnership of organisations working to support good mental health and wellbeing in our communities.

Privacy notice

We are required by law to protect the public funds we administer. We may share information provided to us with other bodies responsible for auditing, administering public funds, undertaking a public function and preventing and detecting fraud.

We participate in the national fraud initiative which is a data matching exercise to assist in the prevention and detection of fraud.

For more information, please see our privacy policy.