The law requires a person carrying out building work to apply to building control before they start work.

Failure to do so means that the council may take enforcement action which may lead to the person doing the work being fined, having  notices served on them and exposing, pulling down, or removing the work carried out.

Where work has been done without applying to building control it may be possible to apply for a regularisation certificate. 

Apply using the council’s standard certificate.

You are advised to contact building control to discuss your individual circumstances before submitting a regularisation application as such a process does not guarantee approval.

Our advice is always to stay within the law and apply to building control early.