You must register the food business with the council at least 28 days before you intend to start operating.

If you intend to produce products of Animal Origin (POAO) and supply them to other businesses, you may require prior approval rather than registration, for more information and how to apply for approval visit the Food Standards Agency website or contact the Food Safety team.

Planning and public toilets

If you are proposing to change the use of an existing premises, or carry out any building works, then you may require planning permission or building regulation approval.

Where seating is provided, you must also make sure you have adequate toilet facilities for customers. The scale of provision will be dependent on the number of covers.

  • toilets must be adequately ventilated
  • toilets must not communicate directly with a room in which food is handled

Change to a business

Once a business is registered with us you will only need to notify us of any of the following changes;

  • There is a change of proprietor
  • The nature of the business changes
  • Or if there is a change of the address at which moveable premises are kept.

You will be required to complete a new food premises registration form.

Safer food, better business

Safer food, better business (SFBB) is a free food safety management pack produced by the Food Standards Agency (FSA) to help small businesses put in place food safety management procedures and to follow food hygiene regulations.

The packs are split into two main parts. The first part covers the five main areas of food safety:

  • cooking
  • cleaning
  • chilling
  • cross-contamination
  • management

The second part includes a diary for your business to use everyday.